Tipping the artist question

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

SoCalBrian

Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:38 pm

I am about to start a sleeve that will take about 6 3-hour sessions and am curious about tipping (would love to hear from artists on this). I am guessing that I should tip each session, is this correct? What is typical tipping percentage? Is it considered rude to not tip, is tipping absolutely expected?

I don't want to insult him at session 1 and have the other sessions be an afterthought for him and get bumped or have long waits, etc.

Thanks!
BadWolf
Verified

Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:21 pm

I tip everyone who does a good job for me in the service industry.

I do not EXPECT tips, not feel they are automatic. The overall decency of a client is far more important to me. If some asshole gets a tattoo and tips me well, it doesn't necessarily make my day.

Because of that, I try to be as decent as I can, and do as good a job as I can...whether I am the service provider, or the customer.

Just be a decent person, (as well as a good client) and tip whatever you can comfortably afford, if you are happy.

If you are happy with the work, tell him/her you will refer all your friends to him/her.

If you can't afford to tip someone in the service industry, a handshake and a sincere expression of your gratitude will make most people's day.

We don't expect anyone to be any richer than we are.

I have had people hand me a $5 bill after a long session, and tell me, "I wish I had more, but It's a bad time right now." and I understand, totally. I don't get upset, and I don't allow that to change how I treat them as a customer.

Overall, it is good to tip, as the people who work for the studio, generally do so at a percentage, so it helps them.
indagadadaveeta

Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:51 pm

i get tips every so often,its cool but not nessasary a referance or a smile and job well done is good enough for me :D
JVS

Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:22 am

Although Tipping is not a requirement Im sure it is always appreciated. I would suggest that if you plan on tipping an artist working on an ongoing project you giva a small tip after each session then when the work is complete you can adjust the final tip amount to reflect your satisfaction. As was stated earlier a sincere thanks and expression of gratitude is always appreciated and reccomendations to friends is what builds the reputation of the artist so that is also important and is always appreciated as well.
Tattude
Hardcore

Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:37 am

My guy likes tips (of course) but told me he prefers it when people say I have such & such amount of money to spend. Do it up sort of thing. It lets him know how big or small to go and there is NO you owe me this much and NOT have enough money.

Just went to another convention and asked another artist that did another one on me and he said the same thing. They like to know what there working with… Tipping is a plus but they would rather you show your support via telling friends and going to conventions wearing there shirts.