technical info

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

Inkpacker

Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:01 am

Can somebody tell me why "we don't discuss technical info" whats that all about ? This is a forum after all,having to do with tattoos,.......Am i in the ...oh wait yeah it says tattoos, so why are we not able to exchange info....Its not a great idea to supress information.
bensongg

Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:43 am

Maybe its because that information should be learned during an apprenticeship or maybe between professionals. How can anyone know who they are dealing with over the internet? Just because I say Ive been tattooing professionally for 9 years after a 3 year apprenticeship doesnt mean its true, (even though it is in my case 8))

Technical info just isnt shared in any kind of forum. Think back to before tattooing wasnt so mainstream, people actually got their hands broke, shot and stabbed for being a hack or from rival artists. Artists were very tightlipped and it took a long period of begging, pleading and ass-kissing to get an apprenticeship. And even if you did get an apprenticeship, you had to clean a lot of toilets, mop a lot of floors, color tons of flash, earn the trust and prove your competency before you received any good working knowledge.

I worked long and hard to acquire the knowledge and skills I have now, Im not gonna share it with just anybody in an internet forum.
SharpTattoos
Hardcore

Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:39 pm

From your last few posts I'd take it that you didn't have an apprenticeship. If you did, you'd realize why it's so important to keep technical information off the public boards. With a few more years in the industry you'll understand.

I can understand that not everyone starts off with an apprenticeship even though it's considered the best way to learn. I'll admit, it's probably the easiest way to learn. You have all the information you need right there in your mentor. Being self-taught you've got to collect that information along the way during trial and error. That takes a lot longer, at least twice as long, as learning it once from someone who knows what they're doing.

Now throw the internet in there... you can't see what other artists are describing and they can't see what you're doing to correct the problem. How does that help? I'm not talking about seeing the finished product, I'm talking about seeing the process, the artist in motion. Unless you know what you're doing already, you can't understand what another artist is telling you, or even if you're getting the right information.

It's just better to keep the technical stuff off of public boards.
BadWolf
Verified

Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:13 pm

Inkpacker wrote:...oh wait yeah it says tattoos, so why are we not able to exchange info....

It says "tattoos" on the front of my studio, too. But I don't give tattoo lessons or technical info to everyone who walks in. There are forums that are password protected, which require a background check to get into. If I want to exchange technical info, I go to one of those, or go see people face to face. But I can't sleep at night knowing I am giving someone info that will make them dangerous. Look at some of th back posts here. People who know they are not doing things cleanly...and don't even give a shit...wanting tech info. People who don't believe in autoclaves wanting to know what "guns" to buy. I don't want involved in that shit. If they want to infect someone, let them do it with no help from me.
Inkpacker

Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:52 pm

I did not have an apprenticeship I began tattooing professionaly only after a persistent friend got me interested.I've found that starting out tattooing customers was very unusual in this buisness, to me tattooing came very easy. I have been a professional artist for twelve years and worked with countless differing media. When I began tattooing over three years ago, I viewed the tattoo machine as nothing more than a vehicle to deliver ink to skin, Another media if you will. This is not to say that I don't believe in apprenticeships, quite the contrary aprenticeships are vital and traditional to tattooing and give those people who can't just pick up a machine a chance to express themselves, eventually. Practice makes perfect not websites. As for working clean, Everybody must find as much info on being clean as possible.I IN NO WAY CONDONE DIRTY HABITS.

The sharing of information it vital for the growth of any industry.
BadWolf
Verified

Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:45 pm

Inkpacker wrote:
The sharing of information it vital for the growth of any industry.

And the open sharing of info leads quickly to oversaturation and problems.

A great compromise is to only give info pertaining to aseptic procedure, in an open environment, and save any technical info for those who have proven themselves to be "insiders" by following those procedures. And the only way to insure that is to do so in a closed forum.
Inkpacker

Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:30 pm

Thank you for your responses,I was curious as to why the question I was asking was getting no response. I enjoyed your reactions to the posting.You will have no technical advice posted by me in this public forum, I did not mean to offend or upset anybody I am simply trying to have some fun . :D Personally I honestly believe not giving out such information can be potentially far more damaging. There are valid points I see on both ends. I would be willing to discuss this matter more on the private messages board ,but in open forum it is a dead horse.

p.s. Bravo bad wolf your last response didn't have one backwards insult!