learning and practice

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

brandy

Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:31 am

ive reacently started learning to tattoo, and i love doing it, but it sometimes seems slow going. and im curious to know how mush practice have others had to do. i know its silly and it comes in time but im just intrested to know.

thank you, brandy
Inkpacker

Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:30 am

[.practice?
SharpTattoos
Hardcore

Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:45 pm

Hi there! :)

It is slow going. You will be learning for a long time. That is one thing I can tell you honestly... never stop learning. The day you think you know it all, lay down your machines, it's over. There's always something new to learn and there's always a new situation. Under a mentor, you'll practice until you're ready to be moved on to the next level. Progression is different for everyone. For some it may take months, for others, years. It's the love of the art that keeps you going.

I've been tattooing since 1992 and I'm still learning. This is how we grow. :)
kate1211

Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:44 pm

It's slow....very slow. Your mentor should be able to give you an idea of how long your apprenticeship will be. (Mine said 1-2 years) But didn't get to lay ANY ink for 9 months. It is frustrating, but don't worry even when you think your not learning anuything but how to mop a floor, your still picking up on things. Hang in there.

~Kate