Drawing Blood - Fucking THE art show

Upcoming Convention Forum<br>
<a href="http://www.everytattoo.com/tattooconventions/">Convention List 2013</a>

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, EvilJay, Sphenoid, Tattude

PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:44 pm

People *cough!*

Excuse me.

People... Many times when we ponder, think, analy repeat the thoughts in our head regarding the goodness of tattoo artist, we only would have to do one thing that would stop the torture. Look at the art that they produce outside tattooing.

NaaaaAAaaaZI!!! DING DING DING!!! You just won yourself a penguin and a kettle. WOODEN kettle. I know. Amazing

What? Why? What the fuck are you talking about? I said what? Gretzky? Dude, are you high? What mirror? Mirror?

I dont have any idea what your saying but somebody has to fix that echoing problem. Could confuse someone really bad.

Anyway. Tattoo artists. Art. Richmond. Mirror. You them. July 3th - 26th.

What is it about?

Sorry.

Its called Drawing Blood and it will showcase how some of the best tattoo artists around are just that. The artistic ability that they posses outside the needle and skin.

You have guys like Timothy Hoyer, the dude who used to fucking blow peoples minds away with his tattoo style. Then he took it in another direction, still blowing shit away, but in his paintings you can still see what made him a fucking wizard. If you havent seen those tattoos, go to the show and look at the paintings and think what they would look as a tattoo. It's like, TRANSFORMERS! Cool and erotic.

Then that crazy robot freek is also in there. Dude calls himself Electrick Pick and he tattoos as he draws. Robots. babes, birds and he specializes in gradually awakening monkeys. Robot monkeys. At least thats what me dream told me. Robot dream.... *pfffft*

Who else? Joe motherfucking pinup machine Capobianco! Cory slightly dharmich Kruger! Jon im on a fucking trippy other shit Clue! Jesse rabbit fucking hunter blunt weapons color alot Smith! NICK BAXTER! CAPTAIN PICKARD!!

THEY ALL DO GREAT ART THE REST OF THE GUYS ON THE PAMFLET LIST DUDES!!

You can see them most likelypropablymaybe in person in the 18th of July at the place that the things is being showcased at time of clock 7 - 10pm.

Ghostprint Gallery

220 W. Broad St. Richmond, VA 23220
804-344-1557

The end.
imnotatfault
Hardcore

Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:10 pm

that's where jesse tattoos out of also, isn't it?
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:26 pm

Here is a interview with Jesse Smith that I did.

Ok Jesse. Can you tell people how the idea of putting together this show came to be and who's behind it?

Jesse: The idea of putting together a tattoo artist art show is nothing new. It's something that has been done at numerous conventions as well as tattoo studios around the world. We just wanted to bring this idea to Richmond, Virginia. As far as I know, Richmond hasn't had a show of this caliber for more then the duration of a 3 day tattoo convention. We're hoping to present this body of work not only to people who are interested in tattoos, but also to people who aren't quite familiar with the fine art of tattoo artists.

As far as who is behind it, the crew consists of Thea Duskin, her mother Geraldine Duskin and Myself. For the most part, Geraldine runs the Gallery and Thea and I tattoo in the back. The Gallery is very eclectic and we show works from all ends of the artistic spectrum. Geraldine pulls in more "High End" type artists while Thea and I bring a little "Lowbrow" flavor to the gallery. The mixture has brought a lot of positive attention from all over.

Anyone who has put on an art show knows that it can make a world of difference if you can get "big names" in first. Was this the case with your show? Who were the first ones to get on board?

Jesse: I'm sure "Big Names" help, however in this case I just contacted everyone all at once. The next day I checked my email and had gotten responses from Jeff Gogue, Electric Pick, Jeff Ensminger, Adam Hathorn, Tommy Lee, Jason Stephan, Tom Strom and Uncle Allan. The other fellas started trickling in over the next couple of days. I was definitely surprised to hear back from so many artists.

What's the meaning behind the name and who came up with it?

Jesse: Thea and I had been dishing around ideas for awhile with no luck. After a couple days of spatting out random nonsense to one another, Thea came up with "Drawing Blood". As soon as I heard it I liked it. The other ideas that we had were kinda boring or had already been done before. "Drawing Blood" just seemed to make sense.

Is there a theme for the show?

Jesse: We decided against a theme for the show. We were more interested in getting a piece that reflected the artist as an individual rather then backing them into a corner with a theme they may not be into. It also makes for a more versatile body of work.

Anything else you would like to tell people about the Drawing Blood art show that opens July 3rd at Ghostprint Gallery in Richmond Virginia?

Jesse: Because the opening night falls on the 4th of July weekend we decided to make the actual reception on the 18th of July. That way we wouldn't be competing with a national holiday. So if anyone is interested in coming to the show that would be the day to do so. We're gonna be serving "beverages" of all sorts as well as enjoying music from DJ GenErroric. We will also be sending out a preview link of all the work involved so if anyone is interested in receiving an email with this link please join my mailing list and I will hit you up when it goes up.

Thanks to Jesse. Here is a list of all artist that are participating at the show

Tommy Lee from Sweden www.tommyleetattoo.com
Adam Hathorn from California www.honkeykong.com
Nick Baxter from Connecticut www.nickbaxter.com
Joe Capobianco from Connecticut www.joecapobianco.com
Jeff Gogue' from Oregon www.gogueart.com
Electric Pick from Denmark www.electricpick.com
Cory Kruger from Connecticut www.krugertattoos.com
Tom Strom from Minnesota www.uptowntattoo.com
Jason Ackerman from Florida www.jasonackerman.net
Uncle Allan from Denmark www.uncleallan.com
Jason Stephan from Florida www.jasonstephan.com
Jeff Ensminger from Texas www.jeffensminger.com
Amanda Wachob from New York www.amandawachob.com
Jason D'Aquino from New York www.jasondaquino.com
Timothy Hoyer from New York www.timothyhoyer.com
Jon Clue from New York www.jonclue.com
Chris Dingwell from Maine www.chrisdingwell.com
Jeff Srsic from Florida www.redletter1.com
Phil Holt from Florida&CA www.philholtsf.com
Angelo Nales www.redletter1.com
Lucky Matthews www.redletter1.com
DeeDee Seruga from Florida www.deedeeseruga.com
Scott Olive from Florida www.odditytattoo.com
Travis Frankin from Florida www.odditytattoo.com

Representing Richmond, VA:
Jesse Smith jessesmithtattoos.com
Thea Duskin www.ghostprint.com
Mike Moses www.sleepdangerously.com
Katie Davis salvationgallery.com
Jimmy Cumberland www.salvationgallery.com
Fred Pinkard www.salvationgallery.com
Matt Brotka www.timewillheal.com
Amy Black www.trademarktattoo.comly.com

And some samples of the art that will be in the show.

Adam Hathorn

Electrick Pick

Tommy Lee
actualfact
Hardcore

Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:13 am

looks pretty cool. my walls could use more art on them.
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:54 am

actualfact wrote:looks pretty cool. my walls could use more art on them.
There is some fucking great artists in there. My personal fav is propably Pick and Jesse also has some killer stuff. And Phil Holt is very drooping styled artists. ANd Kruger also has great japanese style stuff. Who do you like?
PyrrhusDarwinCastello
Hardcore

Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:17 am

This Friday is the opening reception. Be shure to go check it out!

Ghostprint Gallery

220 W. Broad St. Richmond, VA 23220
804-344-1557
actualfact
Hardcore

Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:24 pm

wish i could have made it to this. please post flicks of the exhibition if you run across any.
Tattude
Hardcore

Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:16 pm

Good info...damn, I haven't been to the Richmond show in over three years. :cry: