Getting tattooed at convention w/o appt

Upcoming Convention Forum<br>
<a href="http://www.everytattoo.com/tattooconventions/">Convention List 2013</a>

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, EvilJay, Sphenoid, Tattude

imnotatfault
Hardcore

Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:40 pm

I'm moving to FL (from NJ) at the end of this month and my artist, who is in Phila, is doing a convention in Orlando in Oct. He said that he's booked 4 appts for the show and probably won't be able to do any more, but I was thinking maybe I'd still show up and see what's what.
Question is, how do I approach the situation? And is it rude or too forward to ask him about whether he can tattoo after hours or if he is going to be in town a bit before he flies back? It will cost me at least 120 to fly back up to get work done (not including staying somewhere, buying food/gas/etc. while I'm in town, and other incidentals), so I wouldn't have any problem paying him extra as that money is pretty much spent either way and I'd love to get ink sooner than later. However, I don't want to seem pushy or make him feel uncomfortable or obligated, especially since I have no qualms with going to the con just to check out the work and enjoy myself.

So etiquette in this situation and general pointers would be much appreciated.

Also of note is that it's a horror con and he usually tattoos to try to win awards and I wouldn't want anything intense like a full back portrait of Leatherface, and in actuality would prefer something not so horror if given full choice.
Tattude
Hardcore

Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:59 am

Don't be scarred about talking to your or any artists. NORMALLY after hour tattoos are done to artist by artists because they don't have time to do it during the convention. So, that's out of the question...
Lots of times artists have cancellations; this would be your best opportunity to get in.
I would also like to say don't limit yourself to one artist...walk around and portfolio shop. You'll be super impressed with some of the artists and you want have to wait to get inked this way.
imnotatfault
Hardcore

Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:59 pm

Cool, thanks for the info. More than anything, I'd really love to just go to build rapport with my current artist so it seems like I should still go regardless, then. I've already booked an appointment to fly back to PA to get work in January (after I quit work but before I start law school) and more than anything want to have something in between to not drop below his radar as an appreciative client, however lame that sounds. Despite there being other great artists at the con, I'd rather stick with him. I also am not big into horror tats, so even if the opp. arose, I probably won't feel too inclined to sit down with someone with a more open schedule.

I appreciate you telling me about the after hours thing. Sounds like I would have broken some unspoken rule by even asking, and I posted this more to get my facts straight and not sound foolish. If it's meant to be, when he sees me stop by to check his work out and tell him how excited I am for Jan to roll around, he'll suggest it if he wants to/has time, or at least I assume so. January is just damn far away.
Tattude
Hardcore

Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:33 am

Cool...
For some reason, several tattooees feel weird about talking to arists, trust me, you don't have too...
Hope everything works out
topshotta

Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:38 pm

imnotatfault wrote:Cool, thanks for the info. More than anything, I'd really love to just go to build rapport with my current artist so it seems like I should still go regardless, then. I've already booked an appointment to fly back to PA to get work in January (after I quit work but before I start law school) and more than anything want to have something in between to not drop below his radar as an appreciative client, however lame that sounds. Despite there being other great artists at the con, I'd rather stick with him. I also am not big into horror tats, so even if the opp. arose, I probably won't feel too inclined to sit down with someone with a more open schedule.

I appreciate you telling me about the after hours thing. Sounds like I would have broken some unspoken rule by even asking, and I posted this more to get my facts straight and not sound foolish. If it's meant to be, when he sees me stop by to check his work out and tell him how excited I am for Jan to roll around, he'll suggest it if he wants to/has time, or at least I assume so. January is just damn far away.
Where you going to law school?
imnotatfault
Hardcore

Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:10 pm