18 and Up only

Talk about anything....

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid

At what age should you allowed to get a tattoo in your opinion?

18 and up
78%
14 to 17 is ok, they are old enough
22%
eh, any age from 12 and up is ok by me...
No votes

Total votes: 41
WhiteOleander
Hardcore

Mon May 22, 2006 3:25 pm

ok so if your under 18 and your still in this post please leave...

I was just wondering how many people think that it is actually ok for some one under 18 to get a tattoo? I am only asking because of the sudden rush of 14, and 15 year olds in the forum who are talking about getting tattoos.... I was just wondering if i am being too harsh on them seeing as i am only 18, or if i am right in thinking that they are way too young to decide that they want something put on their skin for life???
statefelon716
Hardcore

Mon May 22, 2006 9:25 pm

I'm 14 I am getting a cross with praying hands in the middle the hands have a blue rosary around them. I can tell you from a 14 yr olds POV we see all our role modles with tats that they got when they were our age, and we want one. They tell us no because we will regret it but hey we know everything lol. In my opinion (and im sure anyother sane person there) it's better to spend our money on tattoos than other things teens spend thier money on.
kate1211

Tue May 23, 2006 12:13 am

I agree with tattooing 14 year olds with parental consent for the same reason I support planned parenthood. They will probably do it anyway, keep them safe...

However a tattoo is life changing and a poor one will haunt them forever, even a well done poor one is still likely to be a bad choice in a few years.

Personally though I think waiting only helps ensure the design will be something they appreciate..
Last edited by kate1211 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
monkeyman

Tue May 23, 2006 10:40 am

kate1211 wrote:I agree with tattooing 14 year olds with parental consent for the same reason I support planned parenthood. They will probably do it anyway, keep them safe.
Now this is turely the problem. People with that "they'll do it anyway" attitude. THEY ARE KIDS FOR CHRIST SAKE! TELL THEM NO! If they do it anyway that shows the lack of respect not only for you but for themselves and you better get a hold on it now or its only going to get worse. I"d inform them that if they do it anyway I will track the SOB that put it there and they will fear ME and the legal system then I would parade the kid, and the scratch they got, all over town pointing out what a stupid thing it is to everyone I met. In a day or two the kid would decide it was better to have listened than to break my rules. Then they could carry their scratch as a badge of dishonor until they are old enough and have enough money of their own to get it covered or removed. I fear for the future....
WhiteOleander
Hardcore

Tue May 23, 2006 11:00 am

statefelon716 wrote: I can tell you from a 14 yr olds POV we see all our role modles with tats that they got when they were our age, and we want one. They tell us no because we will regret it but hey we know everything lol.
Ok so now we have a bunch of kids running around that are just getting a tattoo as a trend let me tell you something hunnie trends dont last they dont...so you get your tattoo now and think your a bad ass because you have a tattoo and your only 14.... but hey maybe i need to go into tattoo removal, i mean now i know we have all these 14 and 15 year old kids getting tattoos that they are getting as a mear "trend" becasue and i quote you, ".. see all our role models with tats... and we want one." Kid you need some better role models why dont you try Mary Wollstonecraft, or Emma Willard, or Elizabeth Cady Stanton??

and further more why on earth are you in such a rush to grow up? its not all that its cracked up to be, enjoy being a kid and actually BE A KID, you have plenty of time to play grown up when you ARE A GROWN UP!!! and guess what if you really want these tattoos when your 14, and you think you like them enough to have them on your body for the rest of your life, then whats the big deal with waiting until your 18 and can get one with out mommy and daddy?? I promise you, when you are 18 and looking back you will wish your parents had just told you hell no, because you are too young to make major decisions like that and shouldnt be allowed to decide things that will effect you for the remainder of your life.

and Kate, your talking about keping them safe, what REPUTABLE artist in their right mind will actually work on a 14 year old, thats just flat out ignorant. so instead your going to go to some hole in the wall place that doesnt give a shit abou anything but the next paycheck and they dont care if their tools meet regualtions for sanitary reasons and what not because they have these idiotic parents who they are keeping their kids safe by letting them get a tatoo with them there. keeping your kids safe is telling them HELL NO YOUR MY KID AND YOUR LIVING UNDER MY ROOF AND YOUR GOING TO LISTEN TO ME. THE LAW SAYS 18 TO GET A TATTOO AND IF YOU THINK YOU WANT IT NOW YOU CAN WAIT UNTIL YOUR 18 AND CAN GET IT FROM A PLACE THAT WILL DO A GOOD JOB. and if they do it, do what monkey man says BEAT THEIR ASS, you are their parents for crying out loud, you brought them into this world and you can take them out of it. by saying, 'well they are going to do it any way" you are just letting them do whatever the hell they want. kids need rules, its the same as the government saying, " well people are going to kill and rape people no matter what we do so we might as well open up places where it can be monitored and supervised" society doesnt function like that, it cant, the same as kids and parents cant live that way....

why is it that you kids cant take an interest in things that matter and maybe go pick up a book or something other than watch mtv and try to dress like a whore??

enjoy being a kid, it doesnt last long....
forumridr158w

Tue May 23, 2006 11:30 am

I'm not an advocate for tattooing anyone under the age of 18, but at the same time, I don't think 14 and 15 year olds talking about getting tattoos is a bad thing. Hopefully they wont get it done and give themselves time to think about it and make sure they get what they want and are prepared to live with it for the rest of their lives. I talked with family members from about that age who had tattoos and got a lot of good information from them. I saw the positives and negatives, my aunt had a couple bad tats, and the cover up work on them wasn't stellar either, my cousin did the impulsive tattoo, and I got to hear how he hated it. there are a lot worse things a kid can do than talk about getting a tattoo. Hopefully some will see this and do like I did, wait till you are 18. I spent a lot of time thinking about the work I wanted done and it changed from the time I wanted to get ink to when I actually did and I know I wont regret them. This is more an issue of parents, they need to tell their kids no, and if they want to have some friends brother botch one, maybe then they will realize why mommy and daddy said no.
WhiteOleander
Hardcore

Tue May 23, 2006 11:45 am

thats what we are saying though, gathering info and thinking about getting a tat when you turn 18 is great, its probably something every one should do so that your not an idiot walking into just any shop getting something off the wall... you know what you want and how the shop should be. But the problem is the fact that they want to get them now and arent thinking about the fact that not all people are safe and not all people out there are going to go the extra mile to make sure some 14 year olds tattoo is perfect, i mean its not even legal!!!!! and they are still doing it, so obveousy they dont care about the law or their rep as a studio and there for arent worth going to in the first place because they arent in it for the love of tattoos and what not they are out there for the next idiot to walk in their shop and pay them for a tattoo.....
forumridr158w

Tue May 23, 2006 1:53 pm

I understand what you are saying, but the last thing these kids need is someone else telling them that its stupid and wrong. that may be how you feel, and i for the most part agree, but you've been there, i've been there, and the more someone tells me no, the more i want to do it. just like you and yout piercing, an i wrong. I'm just saying, guide them, help them, but dont criticize them for the choices they make. with the way society is going, I think that there are probablly a lot of 14 year olds that are capable of making decisions like that. parents dont parent anymore and kids arent getting to be kids anymore because they have no guidance and are having to learn and figure things out that we may have had support for.
Tattude
Hardcore

Tue May 23, 2006 2:26 pm

18 and up and that 18 year old hopefully has enough since to get something timeless...
It helps when people to a little research on tattoos/artists etc...before getting ANY INK.
WhiteOleander
Hardcore

Tue May 23, 2006 2:27 pm

*note this posting has been edited by me in order to show you what i was talking about in your post since you seem to think we are talking about two different things anything that is in italics is edited*

*this was in reguards to tattued talking about an 18 year old being able to most likely find something that they will like longer rather than something a 14 year old assumes he/she will like 4 years down the road

that is exactly what i am saying at 14 i was bound and determined to get an anarchy sign on my hip, and i wanted it for 3 years but now looking back would i get one now, no... because you go thru alot of changes between 14 and 18 and even 18 to 21. i am not claiming to know everything by any means, but people change and that is a fact....

forumridr

this was in reguards to the fact that you said that i should and i quote you
forumridr: but the last thing these kids need is someone else telling them that its stupid and wrong. that may be how you feel.

well they asked what we thought. i am not going to sugar coat something either, thats not my job, if they think that they are old enough to make the choice to get something permenantly tattooed on their body and want to be treated as an adult i am going to talk to them the same way i would speak to any other adult and in doing so i am going to give them my 100% honest opinion. they should not have asked for an opinion or peoples thoughts on it if they didnt want an honest answer.

this was to answer you when you said
the more someone tells me no, the more i want to do it. just like you and yout piercing, an i wrong

my belly button was supposed to be a gift from my dad for my grades and my mom told me i couldnt and i got mad and *my parents are divorced* and my dad told me that he was just as much of my parent as she was so he took me to get it done any ways and i was 17 at the time i think or almost, which is very different from 14....

i thought this was clear but you said
I'm just saying, guide them, help them, but dont criticize them for the choices they make.

guiding and helping them is trying to make them understand that they are kids i have sat there are shared my friends horror stories about getting tattoos before they are 18 and it didnt help, all i got back was, "well things will be different for me.." im sorry but giuiding and helping flew out the window when being nice and sugar coating wasnt helping and they just say, well things will be different for me.... its a known fact that no REPUTABLE studio that is worth going to that is going to meet the standards of a safe place to get a tattoo would tattoo some one illegally at 14, why because they know the consiquences and actually care about their work, because its their life. Kids think every one is good and dont quite grasp the fact that there are bad people out there who are just out there for themselves and personal gain. you cant guide some one who wont accept your advice and try and atleast learn from others

this was for
with the way society is going, I think that there are probablly a lot of 14 year olds that are capable of making decisions like that.

however i must disagree. are the capable of making a decision? yes, but a monkey is too, the determining factor is are the mature enough to. No one is the same person at 14 that they are at 18 or even 20. there are so many things that they havent gotten to experience yet and havent gotten the chance to learn, the key fact is that they are still children, thats what they are, and children shouldnt be allowed to make BIG decisions like that, not because they cant but because they lack the knowlege and maturity, and even experiences to understand alot of things that may sem minor to them at the time but are in all actuality BIG issues....

this was for
. parents dont parent anymore and kids arent getting to be kids anymore

well then the parents need to step up to the plate. IMO half of the problem is that there is no more dicipline. When i was in school your parents had to sign a paper to let the school know if they could spank me or not if i got in trouble and my parents said yes every time. Why some may ask but it is because believe it or not kids need to fear adults and they need to fear athority. not in a bad way like abusive but with out rules and regualtions we are left in a society that has no control over their youth and there for is bound to fail.

maybe this should have been moved up to the one where you were talking about doing some thing because some one tells you NO, this one is my fault i should have moved it up

but i am just saying at 14 i was more likely to listen to a stranger than my own parent. thats the only reason i voice my opinion on this subject.

once again i thought this was pretty clear too i was referencing your
parents dont parent anymore and kids arent getting to be kids anymore
i think you are right about his kids arent getting to be kids because with the way things are they dont have the chance to, or just dont want to be

I mean i was forced to grow up early, with the way my life was after my dad left and how things were, yeah i know it could hae been worse but it kills me inside that these kids are so eager to grow up and play adult and be "sexy" and "hot" at 14 and 15, why cant they just enjoy the fact that they have the opportunity to actually be a kid.

and this was just a side note to the kids since even though i marked it 18 and up only, they still read it, just trying to "guide them as you put it

Dont rush things because by the time your 30 your just going to sit back one day and wonder where on earth the time and the years went, and why you were in such a rush to look 10 years older and why you wanted to have that tattoo, child hood lasts for an instant but being a grown up you have time for the rest of your life...
Last edited by WhiteOleander on Tue May 23, 2006 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
forumridr158w

Tue May 23, 2006 2:58 pm

WOW! Once again you have managed to completely misconstrue everything i have said and gone off on a whole other tangent thats not relative to what i am trying to say. I'm done with this post.
WhiteOleander
Hardcore

Tue May 23, 2006 3:09 pm

then let me go up there and insert things for you to show you what i was answering in your post, will this make it better for you???

*see posting above for details....*
kate1211

Tue May 23, 2006 9:53 pm

While I agree with everything you are saying about waiting, and I do have children who are almost 14 that I would not sign for, I still think that it is not just black and white.
It's easy when you are 18 to have very strong opinions that are clear cut, but I've saw 15 year olds with gang insignias and 14 year old girls with staph infections and bleeding 5.00 special tattoos given by the local drug dealer. The people that get these will probably never step foot in a local shop first, but perhaps they will find one for a cover-up.
I like TN's state policy on this. You have to be 18 to get a tattoo but you can get something covered/fixed with parental consent. People will get shitty trailer tattoos. They always have ages 14-140. But a reputable shop can still offer services to prevent someone from being owned by something on their skin.
i'm not saying your wrong, and I think your points are valid, it just isn't always that simple.
kate1211

Tue May 23, 2006 10:00 pm

Actually it is legal with parental consent in some states also. Michigan, Alabama, Arizona..to name a few.

On a second (side) note at 30 I was/am not sitting around wondering where the years went :D ...you're bright but you have a long road still. For that mater so do I.
monkeyman

Wed May 24, 2006 12:12 am

Look, as a parent you have the responsibilty to protect and nurture your child, teach them right from wrong and discipline them when needed and get them ready to face the real world as an upstanding and honest adult when they leave your care. Letting them run the roost and do as they please "because they'll do it anyway" or "I don't want them to hate me" or "their friends are doing it" or any of the other crap you use to justify not being a good parent is bulls**t and does not help to perpare the child for life as a fully rounded adult. It's a cop out, and does a huge disservice to your child. If you haven't taught your children to respect you or to respect themselves by the time they are 14 you better get a hold on it because when they turn 18 they will carry on that lack of respect. Ask about anyone thats in their 20's and 30's that can't hold a job for more than a few paychecks and has their friends haul them around because they have no car and bounce from house to house because they aren't stable enough to pay the rent and you'll get one answer more than any other and that will be that their parents were more like a friend than a parent to them. We as parents are not here to be our childrens friends we are here to raise them as best we can to become a well rounded adult, and allowing them to disfigure themselves only proves you have failed at your most important job. You are only "young" for 18 years but have 50 or 60 more years to be an adult. Don't allow your children to be "grown up" at only 14, there is plenty of time grown up stuff.