First Post

Questions related to piercings

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, EvilJay, Sphenoid, jamison

modifaerie

Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:29 am

It just look so empty...I felt compelled to post something....so here is my something. Yesterday I had a customer (I work at the walmart jewelry counter) who had pierced her own navel at 10 gauge but didnt like it so she wanted to put something smaller in. She was very interested in, and wanted me to show her a 16 gauge curved barbell. Ugh!! I was at least able to talk her into getting a 14 gauge navel piece but my god!!! She wasn't a dumb kid either. I'd place this woman in her early to mid 40's. When I asked the woman who pierced her navel with a 10 gauge her husband said she did it herself...."but she knows what she's doing". She's a beautician who also knows how to pierce ears. I wanted to scream at these people. It just makes me upset. But whatever, nothing i can do but reccomend they go to a shop and avoid selling them the wrong jewelry. Well there you have it. My little rant and the first post in the new piercing forum. :twisted:
SharpTattoos
Hardcore

Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:03 pm

Some people you just can't teach. They're convinced they're right even if what they're doing is completely asinine. Some heal fine, others are not so lucky. So, we do what we can, advise who we can and hope for the best. :)

At least you weren't trying to just sell her anything to make a buck. I've seen that one too many times.
kate1211

Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:43 am

Oh a beautician!! Well that explains her entire piercing qualifications!! I hate giving someone good advice and having them argue with you. we had a girl who SWORE by neosporin, her aunt who is a nurse told her to use it...and then advised all her friends, after 5 minutes of practically begging her to at least listen to my aftercare, I gave up..

~Kate
PATRICK

Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:26 pm

OK I GOT MY ASS KICKED IN THE TATTOO SECTION NOW ITS YOUR TURN WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO HEAL PIERCING ON THE LIP I DID MINE MY SELF I WENT DOWN TO A CRAFTS STORE GOT A NEDDLE SET AND TOOK THE BIGGEST ONE AND STUCK THROUGH MY LIP THAT WAS ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO I HAVE HAD TO REDO IT ACOUPLE OF TIMES SINCE THEN WITH NAILS THICK PAPER CLIPS ECT. ITS NOT INFECTED OR ANYTHING I WASH IT EVERY DAY ANTIBAC SOAP GOT ANY OTHER THINGS YOU MIGHT ADD TO DO ?
kate1211

Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:09 am

Stop repiercing it. If it is not rejecting itself right now, IMMEDIATELY buy surgical steel jewelry, don't go to your nearest hot topic for it either. You said your from Austin and they have a slew of studios, you can find decent jewelry there. If you ABSOLUTELY can't, then hot topic is better then nails and paper clips. Antibacterial soap is good, however being the lip, it generally heals fine, with a proper piercing and Biotine (or any other non alcoholic anti bacterial mouthwash) If your labret is rejecting, take it out, let it heal then go to a reputable studio. Once a piercing starts rejecting there is little that can be done to salvage it, once your body wants it out. It will push that fucker out despite your best attempts at cleanliness. All the boiling/peroxide/alcohol soaks/burning of needles etc etc, do not equal up to 1 autoclave treatment. And body modification is so much different then when your 10 and your parents won't let you pierce your ears but you do it anyway with a safety pin. Don't risk further scarring or a possible staff infection. (a nasty little infection that can cause open sores on your body among various other health risks)

On a side note, you seem to be under the misconception that people IN the industry give others a hard time as a way of breaking them in, or rite of passage.; There are dues to be paid because you are permanently altering the body. Which in my humble opinion is a thousand times more serious then fucking up on someones plumbing and even they do shit work, pay dues,l work for little to nothing for YEARS, to learn the trade. Because knowledge comes above all other love of art, respecting what you are about to do to someones body is absolutely the foremost thing.

Kate
PATRICK

Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:33 am

THANKS