Advice on second ear piercing needed please...

Questions related to piercings

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, EvilJay, Sphenoid, jamison

Leika

Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:00 pm

Hi,

Lately, I've been thinking about getting a second piercing on my right earlobe. The problem is, previous piercings have resulted in one quite massively formed keloid, and another slight scarring both on my left n right lobe piercing respectively. I'm Asian and have been doing a bit of research... apparently blacks and asians are more prone to keloid growth. But I really want a 2nd hole.. is there a way I can reduce my risk of another keloid forming from my 2nd piercing? btw, my piercings are all done using those gun thingies... I've never actually seen needle piercing before, and da whole idea kinda freaks me out. I've heard needle piercing's much more better though...

P/S---> I think I'm also allergic to nickle? or something like that. I've never been able to wear 'fake' earrings without complications. have since resorted to plastic n gold... Gun piercings from where I'm from are usually done using those sterialized studs that are definately not the kind of metal my ears can handle...

Any opinions and advice are much welcomed, please ^^
kate1211

Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:09 am

Piercings with guns cause more tauma to the area being pierced. The reason is, the guns tear through your skin with a semi blunt object (the stud style earrings used). The more trauma the more likely a keloid.
A piercing needle is hollow removing a small hole of skin, for a cleaner wound and faster healing. Proper piercing jewelry should be stainless surgical steel.
That said I'm very prone to keloids with piercing.Applying warm compresses to the area (about 20 minutes) then washing with liquid antibacterial soap, has really helped. Also when keloids form the often feel like crusties on the skin, picking them off will cause more aggravation to the area and larger keloid.
Good luck!
Kate
nytmare

Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:34 am

hi leika ive pierced my ears like 5 times so im sure i no alot n ive been in your situation! i think u shud try surgical studs or pierce ur ears with gold earrings at the jeweller n abt your keloid dont let your hair touch your new piercing thats how its formed n always keep it clean with surgical spirits[from d pharmacy]