first tattoo problems

If you're new to getting tattooed ask your questions here

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, Freddie, CxCx

PillzE

Thu May 04, 2006 2:11 pm

im 15, looking to get my first tattoo sometime this summer hopefully. could anyone tell me of some good artists? would like the first one to be a good one, something like a traditional japanese or chinese tattoo, help please
WhiteOleander
Hardcore

Thu May 04, 2006 2:38 pm

is it LEGAL for you to get a tat at 15 where you live???

My advice: dont make the mistake my friends did and go to some guys house who's mom bought him tattoo equiptment just so you get get a tat 3 years early, go to an actual reputable artist....trust me they regret it BIG TIME... theirs look like crap they cant get them fixed for another year and cant exactly cover them up
MacK

Thu May 04, 2006 5:21 pm

Save yourself a lot of agro later in life PLEASE PLEASE wait a few years and if you still feel strongly about wanting a tat then go for it but do your homework within your local area and the laws within your state.
Bignastie

Thu May 04, 2006 10:29 pm

i have to agree just wait. i don't beleave there is any state that allows under 16 to get one. trust me i wanted one real bad when i was 15 also. and i was going to a buddy that was doing them inside his house. i am extremly glad i did not do that. all of the work that he has done for my friends looks like shit. plus what i wanted then and what i wanted when i turned 18 was totally different. just wait.
Cougie

Fri May 05, 2006 3:42 am

I was very young 13 when I got my first one and it was a homemade one done with india ink and a needle and thread :( ! ARGHH! It was a major mistake. The advice you have been receiving here is good advice. Wait for a few years at the very least. As you mature your interests will change alot and what you may think you like now and you will be happy with for the rest of your life, in 2 years you may hate. Tattoos are a BIG commitment. They are expensive and hard to get removed and can be hard to cover up with another depending on how they were done.
When you are older and ready do alot of shopping around before you make a decision. Get references and follow them up. Meet the Tattoo Artist, ask questions like "how long have they been doing tattoos professionally?" Do they guarantee their work?" etc.
I know you are probably tired of everyone saying you are too young etc etc but you have plenty of time to do this, you are young and the Tattoo industry isnt going any where so give it some time. Take it from someone who was young and couldnt wait and soon regretted it :wink:
Cougie
WhiteOleander
Hardcore

Fri May 05, 2006 10:29 am

where were you people when Austin was on here, he was 15 and wanted to get one and i was the only one that said it would be a bad idea lol...

Seriously PillzE, your really young and believe it or not you really are going to change ALOT between now and when your 18 trust me. I mean i am only 18 and looking back i am nothing like i was 3 years ago and i swore up and down i was going to be the same person at 18 that i was at 15 and im not... look at it this way, if you really like a tattoo design and decide it is what you want now your still going to be able to get it 3 years down the road, and you can make sure you can get it done right, which is the most important thing. I am not trying to lecture you i swear, but this tattoo is going to be on you for the rest of your life, and if you want it now and still want it 3 years down the road then get it and we were all wrong but atleast you'll know by then that this is really something that you want on your body for the rest of your life you know??
SkyIan

Sat May 06, 2006 3:55 pm

If you do find someone that will tattoo you at your age,they probably probably wouldn't have a good reputation. I posted before that I wanted a tattoo when I was 13,14.At that age,what I liked was completely different from what I liked at 19.
Just my thoughts.
Fae
Hardcore

Fri May 12, 2006 11:33 am

Anywhere that would tattoo a 15 year old probably isn't somewhere that you would want to go to.
CxCx
Verified

Fri May 12, 2006 6:59 pm

Our shop with tattoo minors, only, of course, with parental consent, and said parent.gaurdian being present while the piece is being done.

Reputation? Well, my mentor has been tattooing for over 15 years, and has run the shop I work at for 10. I'd said our rep is ok :)
Fae
Hardcore

Fri May 12, 2006 8:02 pm

Even as low as 15? That seems a little young. We had a few spots where its 16 with a guardian present, but even thats rare where I was.... but I'm not one to talk... I got my big hip piece at 16. I guess its easy to offer advice to kids when you get older, but if someone had told me to wait then, I wouldn't have listened. I was just lucky enough to have a credible artist that I was close to.