So I Finally Got My Tattoo (picture)

If you're new to getting tattooed ask your questions here

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, Freddie, CxCx

Jenna

Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:02 am

And I'm not totally happy. I put a lot of thought into it too, which really bums me out.

So..

A. It's not symetrical. For some reason, I swore that looked fine when drawn.

B. It seems cluttered. I swear I didn't feel that way when I looked at the drawing. The flowers seem to be placed badly too. I was NOT high when deciding this was okay... maybe that was the problem?

C. As much effort I put into making sure he got the green the right color, he didn't ask me about the purple AND I had no idea he was on to that part yet as I was laying down. I want the purple to be lighter! It looks much darker in real life than it does in the picture. God, I feel like I should of been asked if that was the right shade.

D. I let this happen. The finger is pointed at me for all of it I'm sure.

So, I figure I can somehow fix the symetrical issue. I don't want to put more daisies (I chose that daisy because my other tattoo is of one) because that would contribute to my "clutter" issue. The purple, well, can that be gone over with some white to lighten it up? Please say yes.

I'm so blazing pissed at myself right now. All that thought, all that effort! What in the hell did I do to eff this all up?

Help, suggestions, anything? Please. What would YOU do to correct the problems I listed? Is there any hope?

I want to start over. I need a time machine. I'm going to go puke in disgust in myself.,
Jenna

Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:06 am

I don't know if I'm using the term "symetrical" correctly. The flowers should be placed "whimsically even", if that makes any sense at all.

Okay, going back to puking.
Tannim

Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:42 am

For what little the opinion of a perfect stranger may be worth I think it looks great...
TheTattooArtist

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:00 pm

Did you check out your artist portfolio before you let them work on you? Did you convey exactly which colors you wanted where? And did you look at the final drawing before you let them tattoo you?

If you did all this, and it didn't turn out like you were shown, go back to you artist, if you DO trust them, and let them know what your unhappy about. There may be something they can do to make sure that your happy. But remember, if didn't do all the above, the blame does come down on you. Not trying to sound like I'm blaming you, but if you said "o.k." to the design, and color, not much you can blame on your artist.
dfboy

Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:52 pm

Along the lines of what TheTattooArtist posted, when I had work done on my chest I decided parts of the design weren't as "tight" as I'd have liked them. Basically, there was a little too much blank space inbetween elements of the design.

I'd agreed on the design, which was custom-drawn like yours, so the tattooist was under no obligation to make any changes.

However, being a great guy, he widened parts of the design and touched up a couple of colours free of charge. Now he has me as a dedicated returning customer.

Which is why I suggest returning to the tattooist with your concerns. It's in his best interest to keep you as a customer and you might be as lucky as I was.

As for the tattoo itself, I think it looks fine. Don't beat yourself up about the situation as you're not the first to get a tattoo that isn't exactly to your liking. At least you got a tattoo that does look good.
BadWolf
Verified

Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:41 pm

Technically, the tattoo appears to be fine. I am not into perfectly semetrical tattoos....I always try to throw something into it that makes it a bit interesting...even balance needs to be balanced with un-balance (wrap your brain around that!) Perfectly balanced "balance" is unbalanced as it has no.....well...you get what I am saying, right? :lol:

Chances are, the purple will tone down a bit...it has a tendancy to do that. Also, as far as the colors being exactly as you wanted, it is sometimes hard to tell until it is in the skin....the same green will look different in every tattoo, just because of the unique pigmentation of your skin. If I were to give advise about "rounding the design out", I would suggest adding some color shading in the background. I feel (personally) it makes all the difference in the world.
Jenna

Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:33 pm

Thank you to everyone who said the tattoo looks fine. That means a whole bunch to me. My friends say they love it but it's hard to know if they're being truthful.

I will go back when it heals to see what he can do. I don't like waiting until it heals at all though.

TheTattooArtist wrote:Did you check out your artist portfolio before you let them work on you? Did you convey exactly which colors you wanted where? And did you look at the final drawing before you let them tattoo you?

I did check his portfolio and it was great.

Like I said, perhaps not clearly, is that I told him that they were to be birth month colors. So, he started to get the colors out and I *assumed* he was only doing green. I fussed about that color A LOT. I assumed he would stop after green to ask about the next color. I did not see what was going on and I swear, I couldn't tell what part of the tattoo he was doing. It didn't take him long at all, I was so shocked he had moved on to the other two colors.

And yes, I wrote that I did look at the drawing. It seemed fine at the time.

And furthermore, YES, I BLAME MYSELF! lol

________

Badwolf, I hope you're right with the purple.

Color shading, eh? I *think* I know what you mean and that would be a good idea. Like, lets say yellow for a background that fades into regular skin color around the tat?
emma

Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:56 pm

if you ask me i would have got the daisys all one colour (like you have) and the rest one colour, the daisys would have stood out and it would have made it look less "cluttered" but we dont have time machines. :oops:
Tattude
Hardcore

Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:49 pm

Cute...
Jenna

Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:44 pm

Thanks Tattude!

The tattoo is really growing on me. I'm starting to really love it. I don't know what my issue was.. I had liked the sketch?

I still want to get the purple lightened up a bit if that's possible. That is if it doesn't lighten up on its own like BadWolf said it might.

I still might do the background shading, but I'll wait a good long time for it.