My First Tattoo

If you're new to getting tattooed ask your questions here

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, Freddie, CxCx

hopelessd

Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:22 am

Hey Guys,
I just wanted to ask a few questions just to get them out of the way. Forgive me if I sound like an idiot, but I have no experience with tattoos and I think I'm bugging the tattoo shop a little too much... Anyways, im getting a pretty large tattoo on my right side. Armpit to hip. What is the pain actually like? Is it discomfort or is it actual pain? Will it bleed a lot? I really want to get this done but im worried that I wont be able to sit still while its going on. Also I have read on some sleeves costing around 2000$. How much would a side tattoo run for since I dont have that kinda money to spend?
WhiteOleander
Hardcore

Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:34 am

First of all, dont considering it "bugging them" i mean its their chosen career... and i'm sure they some what if not completly understand your bizzillion questions. After all YOU'RE paying for it, and it's the art YOU picked out, and YOU have to live with it for the rest of your life.... therefore i'm sure they are willing and happy to answer your questions....

and you dont sound like an idiot... it's smarter to ask a question and find an answer than never ask and be ignorant.... you know? :wink:

I personally dont have one on my ribs.... but i heard it's pretty painful. but then again its a bunch of needles going in and out of your skin so you cant expect it to feel good?? lol and i might be wrong, but i THINK bleeding depends on the person.... my friend and i have (different) tattoos in the same spots and her's bled and mine never did...

also if you make an appointment with the artist you pick they will give you enough time to finish the piece WITH breaks.. alot of times with larger pieces they take breaks, for both the artist and the person getting the tattoo... so i wouldnt worry about having to sit there the WHOLE time...

as for how much, that varies from artist to artist and where you are.... best advice on that one would be to ask your artist for an estimate....and a rough draft of the tat lol

did i cover all the bases???
hopelessd

Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:20 am

Yeah, you pretty much covered everything.
I have the design ready and everything but decided to hold off until i loose some weight. It would look goofy to get a tattoo on my side and have it squish when im sitting down because of my belly. Other then the pain and the cost, im off to getting it end of 06 beginning of 07. Keep a lookout... she is going to be a doosy! :)
Thank you so much for answering my questions Erica.
JBZ

Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:20 am

Your ribs will be very painful, unless you have a good pain tolerance. I would say I have a medium pain tolerance! I have avoided getting tats on my ribs because I could barely handle the ones on my chest. But I am very skinny so there isn't a lot of meat there to cushion the blows of the needle! haha