First Tattoo Help

If you're new to getting tattooed ask your questions here

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, Freddie, CxCx

ChiraDaku

Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:53 pm

Ok, so I'm 16, and for some time, I've wanted to get a tattoo of a tribal-like wing on my right shoulder blade. Yea, so I've gotten that part figured out, the hard part is bringing it up to mum and dad. Mom doesn't seem to care, though she doesn't like the idea, and dad had gotten one, but regrets it because he's just that kind of person. So how on earth do I bring it up effectively and justify my reasons to getting one?
statefelon716
Hardcore

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:01 pm

Just tell them your reason for getting it if it has a significat enough meaning hopefully they will understand :D
ChiraDaku

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:03 pm

That would be the general reply, but my parents are thick skulled, and really dont respect my decisions that well. But for the past few days, ive been trying to bring it up before i explode ><
TheTattooArtist

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:43 pm

You can always wait til your 18, and they cannot tell you differently. Is getting your tattoo now, really worth the problems you may have with your father? You have a life time to get, and wear your new tattoo, so is a little more time really that big of deal?
statefelon716
Hardcore

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:54 pm

Yeah but telling a kid to wait untill he is 18 when he knows in his head, and his heart what he wants is like putting a 5 year old in a candy store and telling him he can't have any candy till he's 7
ChiraDaku

Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:58 pm

Thank you for that reasoning. Yeah, that would be one reason. I have always been looked at as the baby of teh family, so i have always been told im too young for this or that. I want something of my own that no one can controll is one of my reasonings. Another is that when im older, i want a permanant reminder of who I am now. Unlike my dad, I like remembering who I was, and why I did what I did.
statefelon716
Hardcore

Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:03 pm

Hey man i can tottaly relate. My mom is 49 my dad is 70 and im the baby of 7 childern between the 2 of them. It was like pulling teeth to get my Dad to take me to get my tat. But i explained to him what it ment and why i wanted it so he finaly gave in after 6 months of asking.
ChiraDaku

Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:12 pm

Me and my bro are 17 years apart. You do the math. My moms like 52 and my dad 49. So they treat me like a baby. Just recently I tried to talk them into letting me go to San Francisco on a trip with two of my friends, and I got the 'when youre 18' talk. Turning 18 doesnt suddenly give you magic intelligence and power. Actually, it kinda takes it away... :roll: . But the idea of one wing is imprefection. Which is how everyone looks at me, which, sadly, is what I want. Also my love of anime has something to do with it ><.
statefelon716
Hardcore

Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:24 pm

In case i didn't mention im only 14, and i also don't agree with the "when you turn 18 :roll: " bullshit. So do these people belive that when your 17 years 364 days 59 mins, and 59 seconds old you are a kid and don't know shit, but in 1 freakin magical second you know everything and are all grown up and able to get what you wanted science you were 13. It's people like that that piss me off
ChiraDaku

Mon Jun 19, 2006 5:30 pm

Cha, but according to my dad, it makes you legal. But it doesn't make you smarter, more responible, or more apt to make the right decision. My dad was 19 when he got his tattoo. He got a parrot on his arm. he doesnt even like birds. No wonder he regrets it. It's boring and unoriginal. But now I face the challange to prove that I'm not like him
statefelon716
Hardcore

Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:03 pm

Good Luck :D
ChiraDaku

Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:08 pm

meh....thanks... :x
firefly02

Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:52 pm

If its you want something really bad, then waiting two years will make it that more rewarding. My parents said no to tattoos, so on my 18th birthday i got my first tattoo, best present ever....and i had my tattoo picked out when i was 16 too......i waited two years to get that and trust me if you still want it after that you know its something worth getting. I dont understand people wanting to get tattoos so young, your body isnt going anywhere...my boyfriend is 22 and just about ot get his first. When you get older your'll understand priorities over wants...yoru 16 save up for a car..d.your tattoo aint going no where....two years from now it will still be there....alls i can say is i can relate on wanting one at your age, but i patientatly waited until the day of my bday ..... also gotta look at whats more important pissed off parents or a tattoo that can wait?
just my opinion.....
TheTattooArtist

Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:24 pm

Let's leave out the whole "your legal" when you turn 18. No, there isn't this magical, cause your now 18, now you know shit, statefelon716, but , what about the fact that if your body isn't done growing. Alot of 14 year olds I know, havn't stopped growing yet, so, what do you think that does to the tattoo? Have to have it so bad, that NOBODY can tell you to wait. And then when your body grown more, the tattoo distorts, moves, stretches, and now looks bad. But this is better than waiting.....how? Sorry people like me "piss you off", but sometimes you don't get the awnsers you want, and now it's easier to be pissed off, than to take any advice.
_IsI_

Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:33 pm

okay, hello hun ^___^ I was in the same predic. as you, only at 15.

Alrighty...I was 15 almost sixteen (as in within 2 months) and my parents said that when I was 16, I could get one. but then as I got to sixteen and tried to discuss it with them in a calm and rational matter, they said no. (and I'm not being sarcastic about the calm and rational matter, I took it very seriously, reserch and all) so I did the dumbass thing and went and got it done without permission. I was 15, and turning 16 within 2 weeks and the guy did it for me. Before you freak, yes it was at a lisenced tattoo parlor, and by law, the legal age is 14, beyond that it is up to the tattooist/studio. Normally he didn't do kids under 16 but made an acception for me because I wasnt getting some retard thing I would hate a week later.

My best advice for you, is DO NOT DO IT WITHOUT PERMISSION. the guilt will eat you, and then your parents will XD now, you said your mum is more open minded and your dad already has one? (why does he have a parrot if he doesnt like birds btw...lol) both could be good targets for a serious talk. pick whichever you feel more comfortable talking to, or get both at the same time. Tell them you want to talk about something with them and plan out what you will say.

Discuss it with them, telling them why you want it, what it means to you, where you got the idea, how long you have wanted one, agree that going to san fransisco on your own at 16 with two friends was a bit of an outrageous reqest, (to soften em up XD try to see it from their point of view) but this is something serious. tell them you want this because it is a part of you that you want to remember, and to never ever forget. that this is something intended to make you a better person.

and now I feel like an old person lecturing...even though I might be younger then you XD

basically, be rational and explain the whys to them. show them research, testimonials, and be smart about it! if you go get it done in some basement somewhere....I swear I will never speak to you again O__O it isnt worth it.

mmkay ^___^ post the design yeah? sounds pretty! hope to see you around the boards! Iri.