White Ink

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

WhiteOleander
Hardcore

Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:23 pm

I am sure y'all have all heard this question before, but does white ink actually work?? The tattoo that i want mainly consists of white ink and a little green and a black out line, but i am worried that the white won't show up and that it wont be all that visible. ** I am white by the way** not that that matters but will it work with my skin tone? :?:
Tattude
Hardcore

Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:16 pm

The more pale your skin the better. Ink holds it's color SO much more in pale white skin.
White ink works but usually is used for highlights etc...
I've never seen a tattoo that is all white before.
BadWolf
Verified

Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:19 pm

The oils in the skin generally tint the white pigment and make it less noticable. You can still tell it's white, but it won't stay as brilliant as you may want it for an all white tattoo.
WhiteOleander
Hardcore

Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:17 pm

so can i keep getting it filled every so often if i dont like how much it is fading :?:
BadWolf
Verified

Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:21 pm

You could. But eventually it will scar if it is worked over and over, or the area will be so saturated with pigment, it will not hold anymore.
CxCx
Verified

Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:41 pm

from my experience it depends on two things :

The person being tattooed : I've noticed that some people honestly hold white ink very well and it looks outstanding, whereas others are REALLY pale and it doesn't seem to show up (and I would fall into the latter catagory)

How it's used in the tattoo : large expanses of white are almost NEVER a good idea. Using it as a highlight closer to a darker hue (blue, black, purple, ect) is your best bet
WhiteOleander
Hardcore

Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:44 pm

ok, and some one else recommended that i try the ink that glows under a black light *sorry dont know the actual term for it* and said that it might work better, but i dont want a tat that is just going to show up under a black light, im not under black lights much. So, does the black light ink show up out side or in regular light, or only under a black light??

**I'm irish by the way minus the freckles** so i have pretty light skin, some one mentioned that it worked better on pale skin.
A Surviver

Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:32 pm

I have an all white tattoo on my inner wrist for 15 yrs. now, of a triskilion (3 pointed type star)and when I first wanted it done, I was at a show and asked a coupla well known seasoned artists if they'd do it for me. They gave me the old speal..you know, 'white ink does'nt blahBlahBlah'..(I say it all the time myself!) So I just waited and had a good (pro) friend of mine do it. We knew to add a tiny speck of blue pigment to the white,to counter balance the almond tint to my skin~pigment. It hurt MORE than any other(still don't understand why)but although healing hard..it looked great. I would paint 50 sunblock on it with a Q~tip..and tan my arm area on purpose to make it seem to show up more. I call it my 'invisable tattoo' although it can be seen once it's pointed out. Last year, while visiting my friend that originally did it for me..we decided we would freshen it up. But we did'nt add the speck of blue. Now my white tattoo looks cream colored..yuk. I'm afraid to do it again..afraid to overload the area..and have it look raised or something. Geeez..shoulda left well enough alone. But I still love it! And it still amazes the curious. :shock: hehee~