Sparrows and Runes

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

pink.starz.17

Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:45 pm

Ok-
My boyfriend is thinking of getting a sparrow tatoo, but he was wondering what their meaning is, and why they're so popular.

I was thinking of getting a rune tatoo, but I've heard that their meanings are too powerful to get tatooed. Does anyone know anything about this, or Wiccan/Pagan forums where I could get more information/advice?

Thanks so much! :D
BadWolf
Verified

Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:20 pm

Not to be rude...but why do you want a tattoo you don't know the meaning of?
I would think a better way of going about it would be to decide on what you want to convey, then chose a symbol which does so.
pink.starz.17

Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:38 pm

He really wants sparrows, but sometimes things have wired meanings that you don't find out about until afterwards, and then you regret it. For instance, I've heard that sparrows are used to represent the fact that they take children up to heaven so they have a safe trip, or something like that. If that were the meaning, it would be wierd for him to get, since he has no children or doesn't know any children who have died.

But that's him. I'm Wiccan, and runes tie into my religion. Right now, I'm wearing (4 of) them on a necklace, because they are like good luck charms to me. But I've heard that as a rule, you are not supposed to get them in tatoo form, just like Wiccans are not allowed to do love spells. I didn't want to do something that is frowned upon in my religion/ practices.
BadWolf
Verified

Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:24 pm

Who's spiritual evolution are you concerned with? Yours? If so, who cares what those trapped by "yet another dogma which isn't Christianity" think?
pink.starz.17

Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:37 pm

Yes, mine. It's more like...I'm not even sure how to explain it. Kind of like...have you ever seen those corny shows about witches where they do a spell and it all goes wrong? So since the symbols are so powerful, it's like...we're messing with the intentions of the gods and goddesses, or fate.
BadWolf
Verified

Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:45 pm

That's the point. To become the God or Goddess by manipulating change to occur within conformity. The rest is just a bunch of shit dogmatic 12 step program for recovering Christians, if you cannot utilize that power for yourself. Learn the symbols...that takes a while, and no one can help you with that... Thee process iz thee product. Do what thou wilt shall be thee whole ov thee law. Let every man cut his own way through the jungle...Then figure out what your will is. Then do it.
BadWolf
Verified

Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:53 pm

Your profile says you are into psychology. So, I expect that you understand that ALL tattoos are powerful symbols/sigils. And I fully appreciate you not taking it lightly, and wanting to get answers...but those answers only come in the form of a journey. You need to find them, and no one can just hand them to you. If they did, you would have no experience to relate to the symbol, and therefore it is personally meaningless. The meaning of the symbol is a mix of archetype and what that means and how it effects you as an individual...which is why you should take any "cult" with a grain of salt, extract what you need, then destroy the dogma, and move on.