opinions on being tattooed by famous tattooing artists?

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

chrometattoo

Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:54 pm

Ok, I was wondering about this. Myself and everyone else oogles over tattoes in Savage/Tattoo magazine. People featured in there many times have work done by famous artists. Some artists I talk to just say hey, it costs money to get your name out there like that. Others say their work is way overpriced due to the fame factor.

So what is your opinion? Would you want to get tattooed by a famous artist? What are the pros and cons? How do/did you find such an artist?
BadWolf
Verified

Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:25 am

Chances are, they didn't get famous by being poor artists or being dirty. So, you get what you pay for.
We have an old saying:
"I don't care if the other guy charges less...he knows what his work is worth."
Tattude
Hardcore

Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:07 pm

I only get work done by artists that impress me. Impressing me is a difficult task. Usually the artists that impress me the most are famous. I have several world famous artists’ work on me and some are just locally famous. Like mentioned before, you get what you pay for.
"Good tattoos are cheap and cheap tattoos aren't good."

I paid anywhere from 125-250 dollars an hour.
TOTALLY worth it...

I found many artists by going to several tattoo conventions. Talking with and partying with artists from all over the world helps. Ask them which artists impress them and go check out there portolios.
chrometattoo

Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:22 pm

Tattude wrote:I only get work done by artists that impress me. Impressing me is a difficult task. Usually the artists that impress me the most are famous. I have several world famous artists’ work on me and some are just locally famous. Like mentioned before, you get what you pay for.
"Good tattoos are cheap and cheap tattoos aren't good."

I paid anywhere from 125-250 dollars an hour.
TOTALLY worth it...

I found many artists by going to several tattoo conventions. Talking with and partying with artists from all over the world helps. Ask them which artists impress them and go check out there portolios.
cool - upwards of $250 sounds pretty rad if their work impresses ya - the trick for me is tracking down someone like that. Some of those artists are just ingenious; magicians if you will. I plan on going to conventions in the Southern California area; they are all coming up closer to summer though than to spring. I bet locally famous artists are there too. I would want to find their studio and go there to get work done ideally. I am pretty stoked!