chrome and orange background: pics included

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

chrometattoo

Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:06 am

I found a local artist that does good work; I am hoping he can help me get my chrome piece to get where it needs to be. What do you think of this chrome tattoo:

I currently have a chrome armband, but it is all blackwork right now.

also, I am thinking of a background for my tattoo; I like the swirling yellow and orange and stars here:

What are your thoughts on this guy's artwork?

More of his stuff is here:

http://cmtattoo.thephix.net/Steve%20Sch ... _steve.htm
Tattude
Hardcore

Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:22 pm

The guy does good work but he's using white to pull of the chrome look.
Most artists do...
chrometattoo

Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:22 pm

thanks very much for the insight & feedback.

I see he has other styles of chrome that he works with. I am thinking of seeing if I can get to talk with him for a couple minutes tommorrow. Just to get an idea of what he may be able to do within the confines of my existing tattoo. I visited a couple shops and checked out 7 people's portfolios...I just want to keep an open mind. I will probably search more afterwards.

So you have another idea instead of white? White can be tricky; I see he had done a woman wearing an all-white dress; interesting...I would probably have to get a touch-up for my white highlights on my barbed wire tattoo. I think it may be the best way to get that believability factor. I see he has another chrome tattoo online; my tattoo being larger width (about 4"...I take back the 5") but more spread out (barbed wire; barbs are total of 4" or so) than this tattoo:

BadWolf
Verified

Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:42 am

In something as small as barbed wire, the typical "desert chrome" may be the best way to go. It is simple, gets the point across in a small space, and is still true to the image. "Desert chrome" is the blue on top and the sand color (Tiger gold) on the bottom.
Tattude
Hardcore

Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:12 pm

chrometattoo wrote: Image
Blue shadding, Black shadding, and white shadding is how he did it IMO.
Anyone else feel differently?
I'm not sure what your asking? Are you asking to have chrome or silver INK put into your skin or you just want it to LOOK like chrome?

I've seen silver used a few times like for the silver surfer tattoos because it's the best way for an ALL chrome or silver tattoo to be done. You'd be amazed to see what color blending and shadding can do.
chrometattoo

Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:18 pm

Hello, thanks for the replies. I would like my original tattoo to look as chrome-shiny metal as possible. It has a dark black outline; it is barbed wire with black/grey shading, about 4" wide from spike to spike (so it is less wide in certain portions), only has 3 barbs due to it's size. So desert chrome may work due to the small size (thanks for the advice :) ), or white/blue mixed with the black/grey shading currently present.

I like the orange swirls above, but there is some black striping involved in that design above - I would want much less black/grey for the swirls to let the barbed wire stand out more. I am thinking of the orange swirl design as a background - I would want 3 orange swirls - one in between each of the 3 barbs in my barbed wire. I like the orange and yellows since they would not obscure my barbed wire but would make for a good background / nice highlights.

I asked the artist that did my original barbed wire if I could get chrome/metal ink. That was when I was 19years old, so 8 years ago. He said "no", corresponding with the link I googled:

ARE THERE GOLD OR SILVER INKS FOR TATTOOS?

"While there are some metallic inks available, these are very rare and a
general answer to this question is a simple "no." If you have a design
that needs to look metallic, a good artist can use other colors to make
it look metallic without actually using gold or silver ink. My understanding is that artists shy away from metallic colors because
of their toxic properties under the skin."

This tattoo below is pretty inspiring, since I have alot of blackwork and black shading, I don't know if such a thing is possible for me. I plan to spend whatever the artist asks and then add in a good tip; I understand the going rate is $100-$150. I am not sure if this is photography trickery or if the tattoo artist just is excellent at mixing colors. I may keep looking for awhile; no rush for me :D :) , I may take 1/2 a year of further research if that is what it takes. I want to get as educated as possible before I decide this. Thanks a ton for the advice and thoughts on my tattoo; much appreciated.

BadWolf
Verified

Sun Jan 29, 2006 4:51 pm

"While there are some metallic inks available, these are very rare and a
general answer to this question is a simple "no." If you have a design
that needs to look metallic, a good artist can use other colors to make
it look metallic without actually using gold or silver ink. My understanding is that artists shy away from metallic colors because
of their toxic properties under the skin."
Very misleading "information".
Nearly ALL pigment used in tattooing is made from metal salts. It is metalic. The reason it does not appear metalic is because it must be ground so small to get it in the skin. That changes the reflective quality of the particles. There are no pigments that look "metalic" because the particles would be too large to push into the skin.
chrometattoo

Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:28 pm

hmm, that is pretty interesting; all metals. When I look at the periodic table of elements, I notice that about half are metals, so it makes sense, since using carbon based materials are too organic.

I was wondering, do you think that the "iceman" all chrome with firey hands is a tattoo that is possible to do? It just looks so realistic.
BadWolf
Verified

Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:28 pm

I think it was pulled off nicely. I'd like to see it in person, though. It is done with the "desert chrome" I was talking about.
chrometattoo

Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:40 pm

cool man, I gotta find that artist or someone that can pull such a thing off to the extent that existing constraints will allow. right on! thanks :)