Tipping

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

ramzev1

Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:58 am

I've seen a couple comments that mention tipping. What would be a suitable tip for say a $150 tat? My artist has done two of my tats and he's great. I don't want to feel as if I'm stiffing him.
Tattude
Hardcore

Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:44 pm

Tipping is always nice but coming back for more tats is BETTER... Telling other about your artist is BETTER...

20-40 bucks is normal for any tattoo if you not going to go back to him for more work.
BadWolf
Verified

Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:15 pm

I get tips a lot...but I don't expect them, solicit them, or care at all about them. They are nice, and a good way to show someone you appreciate the effort they put into something. Many of my customers don't have a lot of money, and the tattoo is already expensive, so they just give me whatever they can afford, and it doesn't matter to me how much or how little it is. I have been tipped 5 dollars, and I have been tipped 100 dollars.

When I am out and someone does a good job (waitress, whatever) I tip VERY well.
ramzev1

Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:43 pm

Thanks for the info, since I only get done every couple years I'll probably throw a few bucks his way.

I've taken care of the sending business side, I probably sent 7-10 people to him including my sister.
kuleighpaulsmith

Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:23 pm

I don't expect tips. I don't really want one if I'm charging the straight up hourly rate.

If I happen to slide you an extra hour or so of work, I still don't expect one, but It's nice to get one. :)

I'd say when I do get a tip, it's normally about $20 for extended sessions (4-5 hrs.)

But I'd much rather you tell your friend to come get work than tip me.