books

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

modifaerie

Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:46 pm

I am trying to build a good library of books with tattooable images. Does anyone have any reccomendations? I currently have "The Tattoo Encyclopedia," and a couple others but nothing great. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
SharpTattoos
Hardcore

Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:32 pm

Tattooable images?

I collect art books. Not so much tattoo based, just art based in general. Well, it's mostly fantasy art for me, so I have a lot of Froud, Boris, Frazetta, Olivia, Amy Brown, Luis Royo and various other artists. I like to use a lot of different sources for inspiration of my own art. Other than that... I'm influenced by almost everything I see. I don't collect as many tattoo themed books, unless you count magazines...
kate1211

Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:51 pm

I highly recommend Michael Parkes for outstanding fantasy art. I get alot of my art books, from my Bud Plant catalog. The website is www.budplant.com they only sell art books and have really competitive prices. I've found many great books, that I hadn't even heard of the illustrators, but also some well known, Egon Schiele, Brian Froud,Tolkien, they also carry vintage pin up art books which are fun.. I think looking at true art, to find tattoo ideas helps people become more creative in thinking up their own designs. Often tattoo design books are too similar to flash and limit how people perceive what their body art can do.

~Kate
modifaerie

Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:39 am

I mentioned "tattooable images" only so you all would know what i wanted the books for. i didnt want to get some reference to some abstract watercolor series because it wouldn't have done me any good. :P I appreciate all the feed back though. All the references were great. Thanks all! :D
SharpTattoos
Hardcore

Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:24 am

Actually, some watercolor abstracts would work great as backgrounds... :D
modifaerie

Sat Aug 28, 2004 11:28 am

i never thought about that...i guess this lil' apprentice still has a lot to learn :wink:
SharpTattoos
Hardcore

Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:29 am

I picked up on something very early on... No matter what it is, everything can be inspirational. You can see it, reproduce it and give it a personal touch... whether it be watercolors washing together giving your picture a bit more swirl behind, or the woodgrain or marble that gives your character a foundation to stand on. ;) Everything helps...
Sebastian

Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:13 pm

go online and look up japanese woodblock prints. you will find it endless.

the asian style of artwork is all you will find in great quanities that is ready for the tattoo style.