Tattoo Apprenticeship

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

User avatar
Aivanne
Hardcore
Posts: 5917
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:28 pm

Post by Aivanne » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:15 am

yeah i think 3 days would be fine while I learn all the shit beyond tattooing itself....but then it would be problematic.

I think i found an artist that is willing to teach me but he lives in L.A and it's quite a drive.

we'll see how it goes.

User avatar
Rider68
Hardcore
Posts: 3037
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:27 am

Post by Rider68 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:56 pm

carolinacrackah wrote:Im dont really see the point in starting a new thread with my post. So i will just post it here....I went to art school graduated etc. etc. and have been into illustration and sculpture my whole life. Right now I am a professional illustrator for TokyoPop producing Manga Titles. I became very interested in Bodyart around the age of 16 or so but did not get my first tattoo until a little over a year ago(im 27 now BTW). In the past couple of years I have been increasingly interested in making the transition from paper to skin but have found it nothing less than impossible to find an apprenticeship. I cant even list the number of shops I have brought my portfolio to and 90% of the time they wont even look at it when i mention apprenticeship. Just recently I decided there wasnt going to be anyone to teach me so I just bought a gun and am going to educate myself.
I already responded to your intro post
http://www.everytattoo.com/tattooforum/ ... highlight=
Most likely there will be harsh responses as "scratchers" are not tolerated here and no technical info is discussed in the public forums.

User avatar
carolinacrackah
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:13 pm

Post by carolinacrackah » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:50 am

Butterfly9319 wrote:
carolinacrackah wrote:Im dont really see the point in starting a new thread with my post. So i will just post it here....I went to art school graduated etc. etc. and have been into illustration and sculpture my whole life. Right now I am a professional illustrator for TokyoPop producing Manga Titles. I became very interested in Bodyart around the age of 16 or so but did not get my first tattoo until a little over a year ago(im 27 now BTW). In the past couple of years I have been increasingly interested in making the transition from paper to skin but have found it nothing less than impossible to find an apprenticeship. I cant even list the number of shops I have brought my portfolio to and 90% of the time they wont even look at it when i mention apprenticeship. Just recently I decided there wasnt going to be anyone to teach me so I just bought a gun and am going to educate myself.
oh well I've decided to become a renal transplant surgeon, but I can't seem to get into a medical school, so I bought a table and some box cutters, I think I can teach myself. :roll:
Really just DON'T. you risk really hurting someone. Maybe your approach is wrong, you seem a bit cocky, and most seasoned tattoo artists won't deal with cocky paper artists who think they are too good to be taught the art. Maybe attack it with a more humble attitude.
I realize that there is much outside of sheer artistic ability involved in learning the trade of Tattoo art. I would not, however, go so far as to compare Tattoo artistry to Surgery....aside from the need to be just as sterile when "operating".
I have never thought for a second I am too good to be taught....you see as I posted I have been unable to attain an apprenticeship. If I had that attitude as you say why would I bother to look for one.

User avatar
EvilJay
Hardcore
Posts: 8810
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:45 pm

Post by EvilJay » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:29 am

A, how many tattoo's do you have? I know that this probably "shouldnt" matter, but the fact is, it does. If you are not part of the culture, you are going to have a tough time finding an apprenticship. I have no desire to be a tattoo artist, but I have spent a fair amount of time in a tattoo chair. If you have not, 95% of the guys are going to ignore you. You want to devote your life to something you dont know shit about? Maybe I'm wrong. I think that is problem number one with people going and asking shops for apprenticships. "Ami James" wannabes who go from shop to shop trying to find a shop that will show them the ropes and lead them to the tattoo promise land of sex, drugs, rock and roll, and money Spend some time in a chair, and then talk to that artist about an apprenticship.

Second, you are risking peoples lives by tattooing without proper taring. Bottom line. You will ruin any "career" hopes you have in no time if you take this approach. Do it right or dont do it.

User avatar
Live4him
Hardcore
Posts: 4965
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:49 pm

Post by Live4him » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:36 am

carolinacrackah wrote: I cant even list the number of shops I have brought my portfolio to and 90% of the time they wont even look at it when i mention apprenticeship.
Then you go in again. and again. Show the artists how much you really want this. It's like getting a job. You apply and they're all like "yea whatever I don't care" and you never get called.. but then you go in again, and again and you start to stick out from the rest of the lazy asses who don't care about shit.

Just don't go in too much so as to piss the artist off.. that could be bad.

And yes, also go in with a humble attitude. and it's going in like you're "too good to be taught". Just don't act like you're the best opportunity thats going to walk through their door because you're an amazing artist.

User avatar
carolinacrackah
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:13 pm

Post by carolinacrackah » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:38 am

EvilJay wrote:A, how many tattoo's do you have? I know that this probably "shouldnt" matter, but the fact is, it does. If you are not part of the culture, you are going to have a tough time finding an apprenticship. I have no desire to be a tattoo artist, but I have spent a fair amount of time in a tattoo chair. If you have not, 95% of the guys are going to ignore you. You want to devote your life to something you dont know shit about? Maybe I'm wrong. I think that is problem number one with people going and asking shops for apprenticships. "Ami James" wannabes who go from shop to shop trying to find a shop that will show them the ropes and lead them to the tattoo promise land of sex, drugs, rock and roll, and money Spend some time in a chair, and then talk to that artist about an apprenticship.

Second, you are risking peoples lives by tattooing without proper taring. Bottom line. You will ruin any "career" hopes you have in no time if you take this approach. Do it right or dont do it.
So i need to be covered in tats to be an artist? Going to have to disagree with you. For me if I were to cover myself in tats i'd be doing it for no other reason than the shock effect or the "hey look at me". Im in love with my art(illustration) and am looking to make the transition to another medium. Finally I have not tattooed anyone or myself yet....only on synthetic skin so far.
As far as sex, drugs and rock and roll and money...this is would be an assumption on your part. Most would say this goes hand in hand with the "Culture" as you put it....whether it does or not I care not. I am only interested in learning the craft or teaching myself.

User avatar
EvilJay
Hardcore
Posts: 8810
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:45 pm

Post by EvilJay » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:44 pm

Read the post again. Do I think you need to be covered in tats to be an artist? No. Do I think that many artist are going to be very recieptive to some twat that comes in without any ink and a book of drawings, wanting an apprentiship? No. It is going to be difficult to build any relationship with a tattoo artist when you've never come in and talked to them about anything other than an apprentiship. Thats what I'm telling you. Thats the truth. Most tattoo guys are a little quirky anyway. Add to that the fact that you have a constant string of douche bags bouncing in and out asking stupid questions and inturupting their work all day, then you wanna go in knowing nothing about nothing, and upon meeting them, instead of talking tothem about getting some ink(i.e. making them some money), you bust in with "Hi I'm Bob, teach me to tattoo". Hit the fuckin street is what I'd expect to hear. You can get your panties all in a bunch and tell me I'm wrong if you see fit, but I speak the truth. You dont have to be inked to be an artist, but you better find some way to become acquanited with some artist other than getting work done if you plan to get schooled. It's not what you know, its who you know...

I do not believe sex, drugs, rock and roll, and money are part of the tattoo culture. I think that is what 80% of the people that "want to get an apprenticship" think it is. The fact that you "culture" as if I am using the word out of context, shows how little you know. There is infact a "culture". There is infact a code, some rules, etc..Seriously, if you arent going to take this seriously, then go away. Go sit in your trailer and infect all the neighborhood kids with Hep C and shitty tats..

"Truthful words are not always beautiful; beautiful words not always truthful" - <fortune cookie man>

User avatar
BadWolf
Verified
Posts: 5330
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:00 pm

Post by BadWolf » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:44 pm

Here is the facts.
1.No one here is going to help you out.
2.No one here is going to appreciate what you are doing.
3.No one here is going to sympathize with your delemma.
4.Most everyone here is only interested in chatting with real tattoo artists and tattoo enthusiests...not a scratcher, which is HEAVILY frowned upon, here.

Therefore...is there any real reason for you to be here?

User avatar
Butterfly9319
Hardcore
Posts: 1358
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:15 am

Post by Butterfly9319 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:50 pm

But it is similar. Doctors and tattoo artists may not go through the same amount of schooling, but they both deal with peoples lives. A doctor might screw up if not taught properly and kill someone on the table, you as an untrained tattoo artist might screw up and give someone Hep C or HIV and kill them too...so really my comparison does make sense..unless you are implying that tattoo artists aren't as smart as doctors..and that would be a poor judgement.

oh and jjanzten, glad I could emit a laugh :D

User avatar
BadWolf
Verified
Posts: 5330
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:00 pm

Post by BadWolf » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:55 pm

No...I take myself just seriously enough. YOU, on the other hand, seem to not take anyone else seriously if you are going to become a scratcher. It illustrates how much of an ego complex you have, if you are going to put people at great risk to gain something on a personal level.
I cannot imagine anyone here wanting to associate with such a sociopathic personality.

User avatar
EvilJay
Hardcore
Posts: 8810
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:45 pm

Post by EvilJay » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:13 pm

carolinacrackah wrote:It seems to me I would have a better chance to get into medical school.
Thats probably true. There are probably more people enrolled in medical school than there are people serving proper tattoo aprentiships under qualified instructors. You need to get "in" with someone somehow. You're not gonna see a "apprentice wanted" sign on a sandwich board outside a reputible tattoo shop.

User avatar
Live4him
Hardcore
Posts: 4965
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:49 pm

Post by Live4him » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:16 pm

You aren't taking this seriously at all.
Tattooing is a serious buisness.. It isn't like drawing on paper, where if you accidentally scratch through the paper, mess up, or use a bad pencil you can just go "oops! oh well, new paper"

With tattooing, if you screw up you could give someone a life long disease

It's like trying to become an astronaut, not getting into a NASA training program, and then just going "hah I'll just look up everything online, build my own rocket, and send myself into space"
It's idiotic, and it's not seriously a reality at all.

We don't sympathize with what your doing.
We don't appreciate what your doing.
If you stay on this site, and continue with your plans, we will just roll our eyes at your comments and throw out the scratcher death party picture.

User avatar
carolinacrackah
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:13 pm

Post by carolinacrackah » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:13 pm

Sphenoid wrote:God damnit, could you stop being a scratcher so I can like you? I love mangas so much and would really like to have a manga artist on here.

Also do you know anybody from Darkhorse? Could you find out when they're going to be releasing the final Trigun book?

Also, being a scratcher is an unsafe business that just leads to more trouble for the legit artists out there who payed their dues.
Honestly I can appreciate where everyone here is coming from but I have seriously been trying to get training from a legit artist for a very long time and it just has'nt happened. At this point I dont feel that I should give up on a pursuit because no one will train me.....believe me I would much rather have it the other way around. The only option I have now is to be patient and thorough with my self education.
As far as Dark Horse goes...I used to know a couple guys that worked over there a few years ago. Darkhorse is a good publisher but they are a little inconsistant with release dates....much like Image comics. Have you ever heard of Air Gear...probably one of the most well illustrated Mangas ever published. The line work is extremely meticulous. The story is a bit shoddy however.

User avatar
BadWolf
Verified
Posts: 5330
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:00 pm

Post by BadWolf » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:54 pm

There is no such thing as a thorough "self training". You may think you have a grasp on what you need to know and understand...but that isn't even scratching the tip of the iceberg.
No excuse is valid. No reason good enough.

User avatar
BadWolf
Verified
Posts: 5330
Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:00 pm

Post by BadWolf » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:18 pm

How do I know you are worth training???
If you already gave up and bought a "gun" then that tells me you have nothing to offer. Perhaps everyone you talked to saw the same thing.
If you cut corners in their shop, as you have in this endeavor so far, then they lose their asses. Why trust someone like that? Would you?

Locked