Tattoo Apprenticeship

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

ranger1968

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:30 pm

how long do ya have to be an artist before your allowed to have students? anyone know :?:
kohlhaas
Hardcore

Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:36 pm

You need to be in it long enough (and be GOOD at it) to have knowledge that is actually worth learning. If you are asking that question... chances are you're not there yet. There are way too many "artists" out there who don't know shit and are taking on apprentices anyway. Leads to a vicious cycle of mediocrity.
Live4him
Hardcore

Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:52 pm

The information i've gotten on this site is amazing. I've been drawing since i was little, and i'm looking into becoming an apprentice once i turn 18. I was just wondering if, as a girl, it's alot harder to get an apprenticeship?
Tattude
Hardcore

Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:52 pm

Yes, and no... I mean I know lots of amazing female artists and they normally only like training GOOD artists but for some reason???they choose many female artists over male, if able.
So, find a GOOD female artist in your area and befriend them.
Take care

Remember, didication! It's not just a word.
Aivanne
Hardcore

Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:44 pm

gl1tt3r wrote:I'm psyched - I'm taking Drawing 1, Drawing 2, Advanced Drawing 1, and Advanced Drawing 2 next year. (I'm in high school, but we've got block scheduling).
And after that, my school has an Independent study Drawing class, where you get to pick and choose the kinds of projects you do, so I can focus primarily on tattoo-ish stuff in my Senior year.

Would these kinds of classes be enough to start apprenticing with? Should I take a couple painting classes, are those useful? Or is that enough?
I guess a painting class could help with color blending. You can also experience on your own.
Koreywithak23
Hardcore

Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:24 pm

did you get it? did you get?! :D
aiko

Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:08 am

Does anybody know a website where I can learn asceptic and sterilization? I'm pending to learn BBP, First Aid, and CPR from Emergency University, but since they don't offer asceptic or sterilization, I'll have to learn them seperately. Anyone know an online course I can take for asceptic and sterilization? :D
BadWolf
Verified

Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:36 pm

All of that should be something you can learn from your mentor.
There are no courses specifically designed for tattooing, and since tattooing is such a unique art form, translating what you need to know from a red cross course to tattooing is much harder than having a skilled mentor explain it all to you in the proper context.
Live4him
Hardcore

Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:28 pm

hmm so lately i've been going around to different tattoo parlours, asking for advice on how to get an apprenticeship.
I've also been checking if these places take apprentices, and checking them over.
I got some advice today, and I was wondering if you all think it's useful? or stupid?

He told me that if i want to apprentice at a place that says they don't take apprentices, to bug them by stopping in often, and calling daily.

?
CxCx
Verified

Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:33 pm

I'd go as far to say "bugging" someone and "calling them daily" are BAD options....

Now WEEKLY, however, that's a completely different story :wink:
Pirate_Girl

Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:33 pm

I'm not sure if this has already been answered or not:

How long, on average, does one spend as an apprentice before becoming an artist? I know that it deals with skill and the mentor, but I'm doing a research project for school (as well as for myself), and I'd like to know the usual time required.
omenkilla

Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:01 am

I was wondering if anyone could take a look at some of my artwork that i want to use for a portfolio to try to get an apprenticeship i need as much criticism as i can get...by the way how do you do the picture posting thing?
kohlhaas
Hardcore

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:17 pm

Create an account on a site like www.photobucket.com and upload your photos there. Each photo will have three links you can click on to copy, so just click on the bottom one that looks like Image. The post a new reply, paste that link in here, and voila - photos! You could also upload the photos from your computer onto your profile space here, but those take longer to show up.
Aivanne
Hardcore

Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:26 am

Yo.

Do you guys think you can complete an apprenticeship by being in the shop only 3 days a week ? or is it gonna slow the process down way too much ?
CxCx
Verified

Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:45 am

I was in the shop 3 days a week for the first 3 months (due to time restraints because of College courses and my full time job). During this time, I was still in the "sitting in the back of the shop watching" phase of my apprenticeship, so it wasn't so bad. My mentor was cool about it, because he knew that I was spending every free moment I had at the shop, and giving all of my available time to it.

As time and my apprenticeship went on, however, there's NO WAY that i could've made 3 days a week work.