Tattoo while breast feeding?

General tattoo discussion

Moderators: buttwheat, sidelvar, kohlhaas, EvilJay, Sphenoid, SharpTattoos

karlak259

Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:40 pm

My daughter is breast feeding her infant daughter. Is it safe for her to get a small tattoo on her midriff?
BadWolf
Verified

Sun Jan 02, 2005 2:24 pm

No. The baby will absorb the ink and turn different colors.

The only medical concern is that while pregnant, or breast feeding, the mother should be as healthy as possible. So, it is a good rule to not tattoo pregnant women, or perform ANY elective (unnecessary) procedure...just because their bodies and immune systems already have enough to do at that time.

There has never been a documented case of a tattoo causing complications in a pregnant or lactating woman. Never. So, while it is a precaution most tattooists take to not tattoo pregnant women, it is not founded in any real medical facts.
pink417

Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:04 am

Yor daughter can always pump before hand, and go ahead and get her tat. As long as she has enough supply, everything should be fine ( I am a mother myself).
TheTattooArtist

Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:11 am

It's a moral issue with breastfeeding to me. May not be a health risk, but I cannot say as I'm not a physician, but I know how horriable I would feel if I contributed to health problems of an infant because of someones tattoo that they couldn't wait a bit longer to get.
Huero

Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:35 am

i don't think there has been any research by the companies that make ink/ pigment that includes breastfeeding, nor by the FDA, who governs these companies...
SharpTattoos
Hardcore

Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:09 am

When you get tattooed it knocks down your body's immune system a bit.

Whatever is in your body will be passed through the breast milk to the baby. If your immunity drops, the baby won't be as well protected since he/she gets all of that through the mother.